Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Fruits of my Labor




Wednesday May 20, 2009

Steven and I went to lunch today. I cheated. I was so sick of bed rest. I had to get out for a little while. I had been gone all of about 5 minutes before I started having contractions. They were weak and were not coming consistently so I ignored them while we had lunch. As I drove back to my parents house to pick up the kids they started to get stronger. I picked up the kids and let my Mom take over driving and we went to the doctor. For some reason I got embarrassed when Dr. McIntyre said that I was not in "active labor" and that I should go home and wait. I have never gone into labor on my own so I was disappointed with this news. For some strange reason I really wanted to go into labor on my own at least once. The contractions stayed all day but never grew stronger. at 2 am May 21st I woke up in pain. I was having strong contractions. I began timing them and they started growing stronger and very consistent. I decided that it was time to wake Steven up. I walked to go to the bathroom really quick before waking him up but didn't make it before my water broke. I yelled out to Steven what had happened. He jumped out of bed and acted like he was going to start getting ready but when I walked back into our room he was sound asleep again. Obviously he wasn't really awake when I had told him that I was in labor and that we needed to go! Since I had never gone into labor on my own I didn't realize how quickly you need to get to a hospital once your water breaks. So I took my sweet little time getting ready and waking up Steven. I called my parents to come get the kids, etc. Well two hours later we were finally driving to the hospital. What was I thinking? The pain had gotten so bad I could no longer talk during a contraction. I was already scheduled to have a c-section on June 1st due to Kennedy being breach. But they were not expecting me. I called and found out that my doctor was not on call and would not be at the hospital. I was so upset. It took an hour for them to check us in and get the O.R. ready for me. By this time I was already dialted to 7-8. I was dying. Why had I ever wished this upon myself? It was so much better being induced and having medicine from the get-go! I had tears streaming down my face from the pain and from the fear. My doctor had gotten a phone call that I had gone into labor and came in. I was so thankful. I did not want anyone else to perform this c-section than him. Finally it was time. I was wheeled into the O.R. and was given a spinal. It only took about 2 minutes before I could no longer feel the pain. Hooray! They invited Steven into the room and I calmed down so much. He held my hand as the began. I continued to cry. I was so scared. Within about 20 minutes I was able to meet my girls for the very first time. Brooklyn Hinckley was born at 6:54am May 21, 2009 and Kennedy Snow came just 2 minutes later. They were perfect. Weighing in at 5lbs 4ounces and 5lbs 8ounces. There were no complications. We are so blessed. Steven was able to hold them as they walked the girls down to the nursery. I had to wait until the doctors finished up with me and I had almost finished in the recovery room before I was able to hold the girls for the first time. (about an hour total) They first brought in Kennedy. She was so tiny! I fell in love immediately. Later Steven came in holding Brooklyn. He had spent the last hour with them and had been able to look at them closely and notice all their differences. They are not identical and look completely different. Brooklyn has more olive skin and dark hair and dark blue eyes. She looks a little more like a "Wright." Kennedy has blonde hair and blue eyes and looks exactly like her big brother! Brooklyn looked bigger but actually weighs less. She was on bottom and was very swollen, poor thing. I am so blessed with the most beautiful little girls who arrived to earth healthy and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment